[squeak-dev] [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:06:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Stéphane Rollandin
<lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:
> Damien Cassou a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Stéphane,
>>
>> thank you for your answer. About your packages:
>>
>> Colors: I think it should be included in Squeak base images. It's a
>> general enhancement.
>
> ah, ok. but it has been there for years and was never included

I was not aware of this package. You could for example add a bug
report to mantis to ask for an inclusion.

>> LambdaMessageSend and LispKit: they only target specific developers as
>> with the web images. If you have a wide audience for these packages, I
>> can help you generate your own distribution based on squeak-dev.
>
> I proposed LispKit because I saw a reference to the old Lisp package. it is
> not included by default, it is present in the non-installed package list.
> never mind.

You may want to add your packages in the Universe. The how-to is at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899

> LambdaMessageSend I find quite useful, and it's general purpose; I believe
> it could belong to the toolbox of any developer.

First add it to the universe. I'm creating a list of potential future
included packages. As soon as I get answers from the question I ask in
this thread, I will publish a new poll with a list of such packages to
know which can be included in Squeak-dev. Is that ok?

> the truth is that, while you rightly think about the usefulness of the
> packages you provide, I think about the visibility a package gets when
> included in your images. it's a bit of a chicken/egg problem: if nobody is
> aware of the existence of LambdaMessageSend or Colors, then nobody will use
> them and they will seem useless :)

I'm aware of this problem and I already tried to push the Rio package
this way. I think I failed because I don't see much activity around
Rio. So maybe an inclusion in dev-images is not enough to advert a
package. I don't know.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good