Prim error returns (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Primitive: I am not a number- I am a named prim! - SqueakPeople article)

David Pennell pennell.david at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 19:10:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM, John M McIntosh <
johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> [SNIP]

> Ya, there is exactly one place in the VM where the processor switch
> happens. In the past I tinkered with it to add some slots to Process to
> track wall clock time by process.
> At that time was I was thinking gee we could count bytes allocated and
> other things like socket usage etc, thus providing a bit more process
> consumption statistical data for
> Squeak threads ala unix processes.

Please maintain an option that keeps process context switches as fast as
possible.  I'm interested in Erlang style architectures and how they might
be implemented in Smalltalk.  Hydra+Cog+Newspeak would make a really nice
platform for Erlang-style applications.

-david