[squeak-dev] presentations, projects, tabbed interfaces, and paper as a UI metaphor

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Wed Jul 2 19:48:21 UTC 2008

Hello Brenda,

B> Quick summary of a long email: I have a couple of months free, which I
B> am thinking of spending writing or helping write some classes that let
B> me treat Squeak as smart paper.  To me, this seems related to BookMorph
B> and its subclasses and rewrites, how Projects are treated, and how
B> people give presentations using Squeak.

I use a Squeak on an USB Stick for smart paper. Most people have a
computer running, so why find a place for my laptop and wait till it
starts. I use projects not BookMorphs.

Sometimes it's days when I don't program a single line and my visual
memory helps me to start quickly if I'm coming back to a familiar
place. So a development image also quickly collects lots of projects
with visual sketches, documentation, textual sketches or arrangements
of Browsers and other dev tools.

Whatever you decide to do please consider:

- a linear structure is not enough (maybe it is for presentations).

- it is helpful to quickly move or copy complex content between
arbitrary pages or projects. BookMorph is better than projects in this
regard. MindManager is very good at this (due to its fixed tree
structure). Hey I should try the trashcan for this purpose.

- move content between images, at least of the same version.

- many ways to navigate the structure, a World full of projects is
nice up to 20, less on smaller displays. Maybe BookMorphs sort pages
but auto scaling and page expanding on mouse over could help.

- a quick (visual) navigation should be at hand anywhere, indented
lists (like jump to project) are not agood solution. I think it should
be full screen and maybe semi transparent.

- search capabilities, text, Objects of class X on which pages.

- type in the air like MathMorphs and then decide what it shall be.

- draw in the air to get lineMorphs

All imho. Gave me something to think about.

Cheers,

Herbert