[squeak-dev] [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Thu Jul 3 00:46:51 UTC 2008

At 1:44 PM -0700 7/2/08, squeak-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
>Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:35:55 +0200
>From: "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] [Squeak-dev Images] About the different
>	flavors
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
>	<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
>On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm aware of this problem and I already tried to push the Rio package
>>> this way. I think I failed because I don't see much activity around
>>> Rio. So maybe an inclusion in dev-images is not enough to advert a
>>> package. I don't know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>
>> I'd hate to see the dev image become a showroom for packages, I'd rather see
>> it continue to be loaded with stuff most developers would load anyway.  A
>> package should probably be fairly popular and useful to even be considered
>> for inclusion in the dev image because as soon as I have to start taking
>> things out of it, I'll stop using it and go back to building my own.

I agree with what Ramon Leon has said.
I'd also like to continue to see the dev images pre-loaded with stuff most developers would load, but also have a showcase of loadable new packages with some sort of popularity/usefulness/stability indicator if possible or at least a more developed description of what the packages are for. Also a pointer to the best information source and load site would be handy.
There are so many packages available in various repositories that it's pretty hard to know what's useful now and an indication of what knowledgeable developers are using would be great. Pre-loading should be a strong indicator that most developers find the package useful.
I also agree that you do not want to pre-load too much, don't want to have to take things out in the normal case. It's a fine line for sure.

Ken G. Brown