[squeak-dev] The Primitive: I am not a number- I am a named prim!- SqueakPeople article

dpharris at telus.net dpharris at telus.net
Thu Jul 3 21:21:27 UTC 2008

Quoting Terry Raymond <squeak-craft at cox.net>:

> Well, how about "Tapestry". It is made of threads and is not
> boring.

Wow, that hits the spot.  (And we already have warp, but not weft :-) )  A
tapestry is a colourful weaving together of treads to make a whole and often to
tell a story, epic or otherwise.  It has purpose, into the future, and is often
a product of many people.  Plus, different parts of it are made by different
teams.

That suggests:  Quilt

These are made up of separate pieces of cloth (packages, classes?), sometimes
many copies of identical pieces, sometimes not, assembled into a larger whole.
The pieces are sewn together, but often there is an addition layer (thread) of
sewing that winds its way through all of the pieces.  Each quilt has an overall
design.

Further, each piece of cloth may be a separate design, can be new or old, or can
be a part of a previous creation. Each piece of cloth is made up of threads
woven together.

So, let's make our bed, and lie in it ;-)

David