[squeak-dev] Squeak/Seaside on a no-GUI remote host

John Chandler morph at growler.net
Sat Jul 5 18:32:30 UTC 2008

On Jul 4, 2008, at 10:16 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM, John Chandler <morph at growler.net>
> wrote:
>> I have shell (ssh) access to a Debian host that has a DNS-able
>> address, but no X-server.  The little I've done in Squeak has all
>> been
>> from the GUI, which depends on X or a similar console GUI, which I
>> don't have access to.  I mean, *theoretically,* I could run X, but I
>> seriously doubt I could get it to display on my machine, which lives
>> on a private net in a residential setting.
>>
>> It must be possible to develop for Squeak/Seaside under these
>> conditions, but it's not clear to me what the best way would be.
>> Clues?
>
> Install the RFBServer package.  This lets you use VNC to use the
> Squeak GUI remotely, and with much better performance than you would
> have gotten from X.
>
> Avi

When you say RFBServer, you are speaking of vnc, correct?  Debian
doesn't
seem to have a package called RFBserver, but vnc does refer in docs,
comments,
and source filenames to the concept of a remote file buffer.

I've run vnc before, and it runs great once the config problems are
fixed.  Right
at the moment I'm finding this one (having launched Xvnc with the
vncserver
script):

failed to set default font path ''
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

which makes me think I may be missing a font package of some kind.
Maybe vnc
assumes the existence of an X server.  I'll keep waving my machete
around at
these jungle-y tendrils, and meanwhile encourage those inclined to
shower me
with clues to do so.

And, re:
On Jul 4, 2008, at 10:24 PM, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:
> What I do when I have a remote image that needs to be taken care of is
> run Xvnc on the server and then just vnc. But as I mostly do seaside I
> develop locally and when I'm done I put the changes on a ftp server
> through monticello. I have this in the image as a class method:
>
> updateFromRepository
> 	| repository fileNames sortedFileNames lastVersion |
>
> 	repository _ MCFtpRepository
> 		host: 'hostname:portnumber'
> 		directory: 'mc-trunk'
> [etc.]

Does this require a Squeak image running with some relationship to a
GUI, even if it's vnc and nobody's viewing it?  I guess there must be
some
way to launch Squeak other than clicking on its icon, but, and I find
this a
strange thing to say, I don't think I've ever done it any other way.

-jmc