[squeak-dev] Squeak/Seaside on a no-GUI remote host

Ragnar Hojland Espinosa ragnar at ragnar-hojland.com
Sun Jul 6 13:09:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:32 PM, John Chandler <morph at growler.net> wrote:

> failed to set default font path ''
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

Google is probably your friend :) Note that, as Josh mentions, Avi and
I are talking about different packages.

> [code snip]
> Does this require a Squeak image running with some relationship to a
> GUI, even if it's vnc and nobody's viewing it?  I guess there must be some
> way to launch Squeak other than clicking on its icon, but, and I find this a
> strange thing to say, I don't think I've ever done it any other way.

No it does not, that's the whole purpose of it; to be able to update
and launch stuff from a ssh session. The only reason I dont use
-headless to launch it when updating is so if it gets stuck for some
weird reason I can look at it, but its not required. You might as well
run squeak -headless my.image
--
Ragnar