[squeak-dev] Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 05:24:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 Jul 2008 3:26:14 am Igor Stasenko wrote:
> It is good to see that they finally trying to use GPUs as generic
> purpose processing units. But it has own limitations, like inability
> to run different code in its 2^n working units. So it is more press
> release than real breakthrough :)
The discussions on this thread are on the lines of theatre artists discussing
how to get a movie camera to record stage plays. It ignores a whole new class
of story-telling possibilities opened up by a such a technology.

A 1000-core commodity computing board is not going to be like a quad-core
board with 1000 cores instead of 4. It will probably be a hypercube network
of communicating cores. Nodes are not only "local" or "remote" but can also
be 'neighbors'. Imagine how you could implement Kedama natively on such
boards. Instead of having a single-thread VM simulating a world of particles,
you could create a particle world super VM which would simulate a single-core
VM as one of its "objects". Keeping a single time references across nodes is
now easy. This could simplify support for temporal operators.

Imagine!
Subbu