[squeak-dev] Creating an image from first principles

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Tue Jul 8 14:23:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Something like this is going to be full of subtleties, so maybe
> simulation offers benefits that gestation doesn't. Any thoughts?

As I know simulation works on an image (a snapshot).
One of the problems in Andreas proposal (as I understood)
 is that you can´t work on the system you are building while
 it does not has the minimal tools (e.g. to send messages,
 or to add/remove/debug methods...)
Doing by gestation you can use all th etools of the
 hosting system, because both systems are "working"
 and all the objects the system in gestation are defined
 as normal objects in the host system.

The system in gestation is part of the parent system
 and all the machinery and tools are normal (but modified)
 tools of the parent.

cheers,
Ale.