[squeak-dev] Proposal for CroquetMT [was: Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!]

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Wed Jul 9 06:27:14 UTC 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 11:14 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2008, at 5:56 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> island --> continent --> planet --> solar system --> galaxy -->
>>> universe ?
>>> (Spanish: isla --> continente --> planeta --> Sistema Solar -->
>>> galaxia -->
>>> universo)
>>> (French: île --> ; continent --> ; planète --> ; système solaire
>>> --> galaxie
>>> --> ; univers)
>>> (German: Insel --> Kontinent --> Planet --> Sonnensystem -->
>>> Galaxie -->
>>> Universum)
>>> (Greek: νησί --> ήπειρος --> πλανήτης -->
>>> ηλιακό σύστημα --> γαλαξίας-->
>>> κόσμος,
>>> (in roman alphabet: nesi --> epeiros --> plantes --> eliako
>>> systema -->
>>> galasias --> kosmos (take this with a large grain of salt!)
>>>
>>> pints --> quarts --> gallons -> barrels ?
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> Its not confusing to those, who ever heard about Croquet. And island
>> is very precise word in terms of parallel computing:
>> Islands are isolated from each other. To travel from one island to
>> another you need to cross the water.
>>

> I think that Klaus is saying (forgive me if I'm wrong) that "Island"
> is confusing because it already has meaning in Tweak and Croquet.
> However, I think that the meaning is the same (leaving aside
> Croquet's notion of replicaion), so there's no need for a new term.
> I also like the term for the same reason that you do (much better
> than E's "vat").

Sorry to reply to myself, but an analogy came to me...

Both Java and Squeak have the concept of "Object" and we don't need a
different word for each (in fact, that would be more confusing).  They
both mean basically the same thing, even if Squeak objects are
better ;-)  Similarly, we should use "Island" to refer to variations
of the same concept.  If it becomes necessary to disambiguate, it's
easy to refer to a particular instantiation ("CorruptVM Islands") or
refinement ("replicated Islands") of the concept.

Cheers,
Josh