[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Jul 9 07:51:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 09:20:25 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> last week, I published 2 polls (http://www.doodle.ch/5u67s53greapfdu6
> and http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38) to help me know what you
> want for the squeak-dev images. From these polls, I can conclude that:
>
> - you are becoming more and more interested in 3.10
> - you believe some beta tools are stable enough to include in all
> images (Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved).
>
> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images.

If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear in
the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the
WWW guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have no
technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual survey
participants. Have a tool?

> Maybe because there is the word 'beta' associated
> with 3.10 based images on my webpage.
>
> Here is my propositions for the future squeak-dev versions:
>
> - include Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved in all images
> - only base one image on top of 3.9 and update it less often. I still
> haven't decided if this image will contain the web stuffs or not. Any
> opinion?
> - create 2 stable dev- and web- images based on 3.10
> - create a beta 3.10 based dev-image. I plan to use Level Playing
> Field and Packages to generate this image. I will also put Algernon,
> the new Diff tools and other beta pakages in it.
>
> Could you please give me your opinion on these choices? Do I have to
> create another poll for something?

The way you have it is one series for GUI-ers and another for Web-ers; for
me this is convenient and I don't want more.

In order to address bleeding edge things (sorry for taking Algernon as
example) I propose to make a parallel line with *experimental* in the
name. Sounds better than beta.

> Thank you

Thank you for your good work! You help the always discriminated developer
subspecies !

/Klaus