[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Jul 9 08:46:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:12:25 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
>>> 3.9 based images.
>>
>> If you promise to not take it personal: this is a question I often hear
>> in
>> the marketing department: why do people click the old stuff when their
>> answers in the survey clearly point to the new stuff. Response from the
>> WWW
>> guy: these are most likely different (sub-)communities and we have no
>> technical tools for relating individual downloaders with individual
>> survey
>> participants. Have a tool?
>
> Do you propose that I continue to listen to downloaders? This way, I
> will generate event more images and it might confuse the downloaders
> who are not subscribed to squeak-dev. I really don't know what to do.

See suggestion below.

> This is why I asked people to answer the polls but only got 10 answers
> when downloads are more than 600 only for last month...

Okay, you asked. Put your survey on the individual download page and
"demand" answers (to, "please help make you a better service"), in return
of enabling the submit button. This is a blend of needs of both sides,
community and publisher. Then you can relate answers to downloader's needs.

>> The way you have it is one series for GUI-ers and another for Web-ers;
>> for
>> me this is convenient and I don't want more.
>>
>> In order to address bleeding edge things (sorry for taking Algernon as
>> example) I propose to make a parallel line with *experimental* in the
>> name.
>> Sounds better than beta.
>
> Ok for "experimental".

:)