[squeak-dev] Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:17:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> We may call it thread or fiber or string, no matter what, but at base
> we having a sequence of operations which should be performed in an
> order, defined by programmer (which also known as algorithm).
> Its about human's nature and perception: we separate the concept of
> time onto three categories: past, present and future.
> So, i think the concept of 'threads' will likely to stay until last
> human lives on planet :)

Different actions occurring in parallel?  Of course.  Shared state
threading with it's "ground changing under your feet" characteristics?
 No, I don't think there is anything that can relate to this in our
daily lives, which is one reason people have such a hard time
conceptualizing it and programming with it.

We deal with parallel every day and contention as well; it can be that
I bring a box of widgets to a work area to use, go to get the box of
tools I need and when I come back my widgets are gone because someone
else picked them up.  But what can't happen is I'm drawing a circular
widget but I actually end up drawing a square with one round side
because when I began to draw my brain was put in stasis and another
consciousness took over and began drawing a square without my
knowledge.