[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Jul 9 15:13:02 UTC 2008

> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images.

Likely because they have apps deployed in 3.9 so they want to develop in
3.9.  Just because something new comes out, 3.10, doesn't mean it's going to
get used, there has to be a compelling reason to upgrade that overrides the
aversion to doing the work.

Even if 3.10 is just a bunch of bug fixes and an upgrade might entail
nothing more than changing images for production sites, that's still a risk
of breaking something that isn't currently broken.  There's also a bit of
stability that comes from running one version behind whatever the latest is.
Letting someone else shake out the kinks in the new stuff is more pragmatic
than making my customers do it.  Not everyone thinks newer is automatically
better.

You also have 3.9 listed as stable and 3.10 as experimental... Of course
people are going to download 3.9.  I also see nothing other than that listed
to try and move me to 3.10, so I'd say you need to tell me why I should be
using 3.10, and how it differs from 3.9 and how that will help me in some
way.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com