[squeak-dev] Re: Ariethfa Ffenestri on Linux?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 11 01:07:06 UTC 2008

On 10-Jul-08, at 5:32 AM, nicolas cellier wrote:

> If I would have to experiment such a thing, i would take following
> approach :
> - Do not touch Squeak UI, but develop something completely parallel
> - Do not touch any VMMaker bit, but develop a lightweight FFI library,
>  and maximize the Smalltalk written code.
> - Do not use a Smalltalk BitBlt rendering engine,
>  rather use some FFI OS primitives to draw on OS surfaces.
>
> The VW approach to define a Smalltalk GraphicsContext wrapper to OS
> Graphicsontext seems rather natural.

ffenestri
- does not touch the  Squeak UI code
- requires the smallest changes to the VM we could find a way to make;
basically the event input loop needed extending for some new events
- uses a fairly small plugin to provide a few new primitives (such as
create/open/show/hide/close/move/resize/query)
- does not change the BitBLT system at all

tim
CITOKATE - Criticism is the Only Known Antidote to Error