[squeak-dev] Overrides in newest Monticellos?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jul 13 20:28:43 UTC 2008

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> http://gbracha.blogspot.com/2008/03/monkey-patching.html

I agree with Gilad that extensions and specially overrides (aka monkey
patching) are dangerous thing to do if you aren't aware of consequences,
but on the other hand he also concluded that there isn't better and
established way to solve the problem.

I myself try to follow two rules:

- never override stuff from other,
- do overrides only of my own stuff, in my control and in my images.

That means that I make overrides only in end packages, for instance
customer specific ones, which are at the end of chain, not overriden
with any more package.

That way clashes with others overriding the same stuff are more or less
avoided while advantages of overrides are preserved.

Janko