HydraVM win32 update (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: new blog post plus closure bootstrap code)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:27:58 UTC 2008

2008/7/23 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Good news Elliot! To what i see, changes you made are not too hard to
>> merge with Hydra changes. :)
>
> Good.  I would be very surprised if I did anything incompatible.  I want to
> change as little as possible only to enable closures and a context-to-stack
> mapping VM.  I would doubt that either my Stack VM or a JIT that derives
> from it would have significant conflicts with Hydra and that these would be
> resolvable quite easily.  You are making VMs play together I'm merely
> speeding up the execution core.

I done writing a small overview of code generator changes.
You can find it there: http://squeakvm.org/~sig/hydravm/codegen.html

>> Too bad, i had little time to work with Hydra for last two weeks.
>>
>> There are little news, except that Hydra able to run Qwaq Forums on
>> win32, and it does it quite stable.
>
> Excellent.  The StackVM is nearly able to run forums (it at least starts
> up).  I'm taking a couple of days away form it to finish some blog posts on
> closures.
>

>> Yesterday i started writing a CodeGenerator changes overview, i think
>> i'll finish it tomorrow.
>>
>> I'm also planned to release an update of Hydra sources and VMMaker
>> package.. but i postponing release day by day.. because i'm little
>> nervous, can't really tell the reason..
>> Maybe because, if these changes, after some evaluation show that VM is
>> quite stable, this will mean declaring a Hydra VM entering a Beta
>> stage (on win32 platform only for now).  :)
>
> I think you should wait until after ESUG.  We should meet at ESUG, show each
> other our modifications and then publish a merge.  What do you think?

Definitely, we should merge efforts :)
Well, your changes is not backwards compatible with current squeak
images, while Hydra can run them w/o problems.
This is the reason, why i want to release them now - at least in
binary form. So people may try run it and report problems found.

So here is update.
----

VMMaker and HydraVM packages is now at squeaksource.

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/HydraVM'
    user: ''
    password: ''

The platform sources are located here:

http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/HydraVM

I also wanted to put binaries to ftp.squeak.org/HydraVM, but forgot
the password :)
Ken, can you remind me please?

Changes in last update:

- fixed bug with queues
- revised many plugins which can be now built with VM. It now builds
with 100% plugins which coming by default with VMMaker package (if i
didn't miss anything).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.