[squeak-dev] Re: HydraVM win32 update (was: Re: Re: new blog post plus closure bootstrap code)

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Jul 29 14:24:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:02:47 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/7/29 Klaus D. Witzel:
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:27:58 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> Well, [] changes is not backwards compatible with current squeak
>>> images, while Hydra can run them w/o problems.
>>> This is the reason, why i want to release them now - at least in
>>> binary form. So people may try run it and report problems found.
>>>
>>> So here is update.
>>> ----
>>>
>>> VMMaker and HydraVM packages is now at squeaksource.
>>>
>>> MCHttpRepository
>>>    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/HydraVM'
>>>    user: ''
>>>    password: ''
>>
>> Which base .image should load this? If base .image is Croquet, have URL?
>>

> it should work well on Croquet 1.0.18 took from Croquet SDK.
> Also, i don't see a reason why it should not work on any other image.
> VMMaker pakcage don't have too much dependencies, so it should work
> fine on any image starting from squeak 3.8  , i assume.
> Please tell me if you find any problems loading/using VMMaker on
> 3.9-3.10.
> And Croquet SDK can be downloaded here:
> http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Downloads

Thx. And thx for the WinBuild dir hint in your 2nd message.

>>> The platform sources are located here:
>>>
>>> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/HydraVM
>>
>> Checked this branch out (on my brand new dual core notebook :)
>>
>> Where's the file interp.c, which used to be in win32/vm ?
>>

> of course there is no such file. Because it is generated by vmmaker :)

Yes, by your's from your local .image ;)

> What the reason in putting a files which is a product of automatic
> code generation under version control? :)

In this case? It's the documentation, which tells about compiling only,
then in another section tells about using VMMaker for generating (some)
plugin, then in yet another section about modding the VM tself ;)

For practical purpose: I think that is very practical, and all this should
be tested anyways. If loading VMMaker+generating+compilation leaves a
problem, then users can always see how it should be without asking dumb
questions by email.

Is it possible you update the branch in that way? TIA.