[squeak-dev] Immutability (was Re: About String vs Symbols)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jul 29 22:16:58 UTC 2008

On 29-Jul-08, at 2:57 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
[snip]
> The code generator I started with complains if the subclass
> redefines a method. Arguably this is a useful error check.  So I
> modified the code generator to allow a subclass to explicitly remove
> superclass methods before adding its own.  Trivial but effective.

OK, yup, that would do it. I had forgotten that complaint.

> Super is a different thing.  I don't think there's any conceptual
> difficulty.  Its simply another invocation of inlining.  But the
> code generator's dictionaries of selector to method would have to be
> elaborated and its something I can do without for now.
Exactly. It ought to work by having some better dictionary of
selectors. Can't remember what I tried (it was about 5 years ago now)
but I had a great deal of practical trouble with it.

>> Another aspect of pick'n'mix I'd like to see working is having all
>> the parts of the vm in plugin (or plugin-like) modules.
[snip]

> Yep.  Makes sense.
I like to think so. One of the first things would be to make
Interpreter not be a subclass of ObjectMemory anymore.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- RIGOR MORRIS - The cat is dead