[squeak-dev] Re: The version 3.10 does not work on Linux.

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jun 1 16:20:46 UTC 2008

On 1-Jun-08, at 6:12 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> We can use version strings like following format:
>
> Squeak VM xx.yy.zz (images ver aa.bb - cc.dd)
>
> This makes it absolutely understandable, that VM having own version ,
> AND works/compatible with squeak images of given versions.

You couldn't actually specify the *last* version of image that the vm
would support since you can't know that in advance.

We could however number VMs based (for example) on the revision number
of the VMMaker  release and the SVN repository (so something like
112-675) for development systems and then simply rename them for
putting on the squeak.org download section when ready.
Actually, it would require an easy way to change the version number
returned to the image for getAttributes as well, so a way of
recompiling only the version info and relinking would be best. Perhaps
some simply header file that has just the version number string?
Normal make would create it with vmmaker-svn and release make would
just do 'squeakrelease'. Or whatever. I actually used to something
rather like that for GBH back in the 80s.

tim
Half the people you know are below average.