[squeak-dev] Getting Squeak3.10 to work under problem Linuxes

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 18:52:53 UTC 2008

[squeak-dev] Getting Squeak3.10 to work under problem Linuxes

***
>Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
>Sat May 31 10:58:38 UTC 2008
>
>On 31.05.2008, at 02:12, Jerome Peace wrote:
>

>> I have posted the obvious change set to:
>>
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7068
>> Squeak is translucent under X compositing window managers
>>
>> The changeset is just a postscript to reset the Display depth.
>>
>> "Postscript:
>> "
>> Display newDepth: 32 .
>>
>> Drop it on a squeak window.
>> Install the changeset.
>> Save the image.
>

>This is a workaround, not a fix.

Yes.

>We need to figure out if the VM is broken or the new-fangled
>compositing window managers. But 16 bits should be made to work.

How about a test screen?
 It seems to me displaying certain patterns would probably
pin point things fairly quick.
The discription of the problem indicated
 that white and black had different transparencies.
What about other colors?
Which bytes get mistook for alpha channel?

What form of pattern would diagnose the problem most easily?
Then is the problem the same on all linuxes or different on differnt ones?

Squeak color stuff has known bugs. Some of them hard to trace.
With a lot of integration bugs.
Many due to different authors with different assumptions.

So I imagine getting a handle on how to make it work elegantly
 will take real study on someones part.

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace