[squeak-dev] Re: Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jun 4 21:14:53 UTC 2008

Forgot to mention there is code examples on the OLPC page to grab an
image from the camera on the OLPC
and turn into a JPEG or something. Your choices would be to make a
pipeline to grab an image, turn into a
JPG or PNG and have the pipeline write that to disk. In the Sunits I
actually use a GStreamer pipeline to
read from a URI and write to disk for example.

Otherwise you can create a pipeline and deposit the data into a squeak
Form. That is part of the Sunits, but
also part of the GStreamer Morphic Media player where it enables the
playback of Ogg video/audio in a player that was cloned
from the Squeak MPEG player

I note the GStreamer plugins I worked with are the ones that are pure
open source without patent encumbrances
The so called "GOOD" plugin set that is distributed by default.

You can of course load the "BAD" plugin sets which contain codec that
let you playback MPEG and other
video/audio encoding that normally you'd need a license or pay a fee
for...  I personally have not confirmed if
they would work, but I don't see why not since the entire theory of
the GStreamer effort is to isolate the programmer/user
from what the plugins have to do.

Lastly GStreamer C objects use reference counting for GC purposes and
are thus tightly coupled to their Smalltalk Instances and
Finalization, I *think* it all works, no complaint yet....

--
=
=