[squeak-dev] Sometimes Squeak Display does not start for a long time

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:56:57 UTC 2008

On Unix squeak at least, Command-line processing seems to have a
bug. When I do this:

squeak Squeak3.10-7159-basic http://installer.pbwiki.org/f/LPF.st

Sometimes Squeak just starts up as a white window. The script
runs (takes about 5 minutes here), and after it finishes, the
Display finally shows the Squeak Desktop (rather than white).

On my computer, I can reproduce this about 3 times out of 5. Ken
Causey was able to reproduce it about 1 time out of 8.

We tested this on VM's between 3.4-1 and 3.9-8, and on images
between 3.8.1 and 3.10.2, and all combinations we tested had the
issue.

Any idea what the problem is? It sounds like some kind of race
condition between Display initialization and Script execution.