[squeak-dev] Invalid UTF-8 input detected

Bèrto ëd Sèra berto.d.sera at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 04:58:56 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have a weird thing happening. I downloaded the latest squeak and when it
opens it immediately delivers this error. Okay, so I open and close the
emergency evaluator then I can work. But as soon as I try to save an updated
image... here we go again. So no saving, which is obviously bad.

Running on
XP pro 2002 version, SP2 (russian edition)
Squeak 3.10.2

It looks like the problem is connected to my filesystem strings.
In secureUserDirectory
dir := self primSecureUserDirectory.

generates a string in the form path+username which results in trouble:
'C:\Program Files\Squeak\Áýðòó'. My username on the system is in cyrillic,
and this really looks like it.

Then in convertFromWithConverter (ByteString) the exception is raised.

I've been googling a bit about this, but I cannot seem to find much. Any
hint at what we should do? It does look like a problem that is going to
occur over and over again, and since the app I'm about to write deals with
languages and thousands of different scripts... This is a bit worrying.

Let me know.
Bèrto