[squeak-dev] Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 18:12:22 UTC 2008

> The absence of something like STORE/CPAN that is what is driving me
> towards CST.
>
> The existence of CPAN is keeping me with Perl ;)
The existence of sake/packages to enable me to consistently build and
debug the building of the production image that I want is helping to
keep me sane! (after attempting to achieve what I needed with Universes
drove me mad for a couple of weeks)

The last thing we need is yet another package management system, when we
have hardly started using the features of the existing ones.

Oh yes it is all very well to go and drum up political support for
various ideas and complain that it will not handle the needs of millions
of coders, but the reality is that it is a lot of hot air! (see next
paragraph)

The packages at lists.squeakfoundation.org list was recently re-rejuvenated
to address this very issue, and as far as I am aware we had 1 more
member subscribe to it as a result (and one member left). Hardly a sign
of a community desparate to actually contribute to make things better
for all, do you think?

Furthermore, the goals chosen by the current informal release team is to
work in ways which will support the disparate communities that are
emerging based upon squeak. (olpc etoys, sophie, croquet etc) Part of
this involves championing tools that have been designed to actually work
in all squeak derivatives.

Unfortunatelty none of these "other" communities have shown much
interest as yet. The invitation for volunteers to be a package-czar for
any version of squeak is still very much open.

==

Since the full list of actual dependencies relies upon use-ontext rather
than publication-context, having a central repository as the sole place
to manage dependencies is going to be useful but only to a limited extent.

I would personally prefer SqueakMap without dependencies, or at least if
it had them sake/packages would enable the defaults to be overridden.

I think we could re-write SqueakMap to be a front end manager of
Sake/Packages. If we did this then the dependencies could be managed to
resolve to the correct data entries. But having said that, who has the
time to actually do the work.

For those highlighting of lack of documentation for Sake/Packages , it
is true I have had very very little time since writing it... however it
DOES have class comments, and I have posted numerous examples and emails
in the past 5 months or so, so you could do worse than search the mail
archives for my posts.

best regards

Keith