[squeak-dev] Squeak Package Management

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 13:41:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> SAR allows something to be deployed exactly as the creator wants it to
> be.  The install script can pop up starting screens, documentation,
> etc.

Which is wrong if you want to automate package installation and the
popups can't be blocked in some way. As far as I understand, the SAR
can execute arbitrary code when it's loaded. Instead, a package should
only provide stuff, and let the installer from the deal with it
however it wants.

I don't want to a package to change the background color in my image,
popup windows, ask me questions interactively, delete my home
directory, or fail because it tries to phone back to the developer's
web site to count installations and I'm in the train.

Of course the irony is you can do that with class initialization
anyway… but then this is a problem of Smalltalk, not the package
system.

--
Damien Pollet