[squeak-dev] Subversion (was: Re: Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jun 28 19:45:10 UTC 2008

Colin Putney wrote:

> On 28-Jun-08, at 5:27 AM, Claus Kick wrote:
>
>> If push comes to shove, I would even say, lets ditch them all and just
>> use SVN like the rest of the planet (if that is possible). It is hard
>> enough to sell a image-based language with a real IDE to the C-style
>> crowd, the package  management systems should not add their grain of
>> salt to the soup.
>
> Been there, done that... <shudder/>
>
> Monticello was created because this turned out not to be feasible in
> practice.

Can you say something more about that? A couple of weeks ago I saw a
demo at HPI in Potsdam where students used SVN down to the method level,
and it seemed to me that this approach might very well work because the
SVN granularity is the same as the in-image granularity. It may also be
interesting that this wasn't even trying to deal with source files of
any sort - it retained the nature of the image and simply hooked it up
directly with SVN. From my perspective this looked like an
extraordinarily interesting approach that I am certain to try out as
soon as it is available.

Cheers,
   - Andreas