The main Squeak problem Was: [Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakMap is a "Showroom"]

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 17:44:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> Once you change a class from which depends the rest, it may require to
> update dependent code as well, otherwise it will be broken.

Yeah but that's not the fault of the package system then, it's poor
development practice as you say.

> First, we need a paradigm shift IMO. From solid, single image where
> everything is closely tied, to modular system where different parts
> does not interfere with others, or if interfere, they play by strict
> rules.

This is a chicken/egg problem as usual. IMHO if we have a package
system then users will try to upgrade things more often (revealing
bugs faster) and developers will have something to document
dependancies in a practical way. That's also why I'd like to see the
package layer integrated with squeaksource eventually, to make it
simple to update a package (with metadata integrated in MC snapshots
for instance).

--
Damien Pollet