[squeak-dev] Bootstrapping

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jun 29 22:27:03 UTC 2008

On 29-Jun-08, at 9:48 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> No. You need a C compiler, true, but it builds the next C compiler
> from text sources only, it does not clone itself.
>
> This is also the difference between using SystemTracer to clone an
> image into a new format vs. what Ralph suggested, using an image to
> assemble a new image from scratch, containing only an explicitly
> defined set of objects.

This turns to not be the case. I did not suggest using the tracer to
clone an image into a new format; I suggested building a clump of new
objects in an existing image's memory and then tracing out that clump
only. How would one separate this from the operation of a typical C
compiler; read source, generate stuff into memory, write it out.

But it really doesn't matter. Nothing we can do will stop some people
from making pointless objections and raising a ruckus. They just don't
like Smalltalk.

tim
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.