[squeak-dev] Subversion (was: Re: Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?)

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Mon Jun 30 18:18:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is quite interesting.
> Really, if we could just avoid using file-based working directory and
> make image to be a kind of 'working directory' this would simplify
> things  a lot - no need to make file outs and synchronization is
> always made between current methods in image and git repository.
> Interesting, how much coding needed to connect image with git
> repository in that way.

Well, I don't know how much coding it would be, but from a *very*
cursory look I would say what you need to do is model the index file
format in Smalltalk, and reproduce the update-index and checkout-index
commands.  Once you had that, you could reuse all the normal
merge/commit/etc commands from git, because those all operate on the
index and on the repository database.

Avi