Getting rid of Compact classes (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Primitive: I am not a number- I am a named prim! - SqueakPeople article)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 30 22:20:51 UTC 2008

> The image size is 36368500 bytes. So, in percentage its roughly 6%
> space increase.
>
> I can't measure how faster (or slower) image would be if we remove
> compact classes, because it requires a conversion :)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Eliot was discussing with me removing compact classes for Cog a couple
of weeks back. He ran a quick calculation and I *thought* it was
more like 12%.  Although 12% seem excessive since every byte counts in
your iPhone, we debated with no
conclusion if we should trade the memory for better performance.

Personally  I'd think the user would want better performance over the
developer's desire to that extra 4 mb of memory somewhere..
.
--
=
=