[squeak-dev] Copying a file from Squeak on Linux

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Mar 2 17:31:55 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am starting to move files back and forth between Windows and Linux.
On Windows, I do this using an evolved version of a command line program
I wrote in the win3.1 days, and is now a GUI app written in Dolphin.  I
now need to create a Squeak version of it to idiot proof my copying to
and from Linux.

My question is in two parts.  First, is there any trick to the
modification times on Linux vs. Windows.  I vaguely recall hearing that
a forgotten difference in behavior of the two systems lead Sun to cause
some trouble in the early days of Java.  Cautions will be gladly
researched.  Ubunutu at least seems to do what I expect when I copy
"manually."  The second question is what is the best way to copy files
in/from Squeak, given that I care about preserving modification times?

I thought to load OS Process, but Squeak exited silently (sadly, I did
not think to look for an error until after the log was overwritten by a
subsequent error).  I tried again and it loaded normally; is OSProcess
stable?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida