[squeak-dev] Re: The "correct" approach to multi-core systems.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 2 21:47:50 UTC 2008

Jason Johnson wrote:
> As far as what advantage this approach provides in general: it allows
> the VM to fully take advantage of multiple threads on a system without
> exposing "real" threading to the language.

But that's exactly what Hydra does (thus my question). Hydra uses
separate object memories for (as you phrase it) "on OS-thread per
scheduler". Therefore it allows all the existing code to continue to run
with the current assumptions about threading (i.e., green threads only)
and requires new code to be explicit about the concurrency model it
assumes (i.e., channels for communication between the images).

Cheers,
   - Andreas