[squeak-dev] Jeff Raskin's zoom world in Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Mar 3 20:03:31 UTC 2008

Donna,

> Hi All,  I am the administrator of Hawthorne Center for Innovation located
> next to Fontana in the Riverside area of Southern California.  The Hawthorne
> Center is supporting a project - part of which involves getting Jeff Raskin's
> (The Human Interface) zoom world into Squeak. Before we start we would
> like to find out if anyone has already done work in this area so that we are
> not reinventing the wheel (or any part of it). So, anyone out there who has
> played around in this area?  Thanks in advance for any feedback,  Donna

I am not aware of such a project but there is some interesting
infrastructure in Squeak which can help with this. The first is
WarpBlit, which extended the original BitBLT graphics core from
Smalltalk-80 to deal with various transforms. This is still a bitmap
operation, however. The second is Balloon (there is also a Balloon3D
package, but for zoomable interfaces the 2D one should be enough) which
added scalable vector graphics to Squeak so it could do the kinds of
things people were doing in Flash.

-- Jecel