[squeak-dev] Copying a file from Squeak on Linux

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Mar 4 04:01:22 UTC 2008

Bert,

My image reports its #vmPath as:

    /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-8/

and looking there, I see the vm and some plugins.  Is being in that
directory enough, or is there something else I have to do to get it to
see and/or report a plugin's existence?  Are they loaded at startup,
only on demand, etc.?

>From my feeble experiments, I'm guessing that it is on demand.  I became
curious over the DES plugin, which I now appear to have working.  To get
there, I grabbed the plugin from

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2410

and then saved it as both

   /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-8/DESPlugin
   /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-8/DESPrims.so

Not quite knowing what I was doing (make that being completely
clueless), I am not sure which one made it work.  Any ideas?  The
DESPlugin class comment includes:

   You should build this plugin with the module name 'DESPrims'.

and adding the .so seemed like might be a good idea.  Does the plugin
load code try/ignore that extension?

Thanks,

Bill

==========================
Bert Freudenberg <bert at ...>bert at ...  wrote:

Also, #listBuiltinModules will list the plugins compiled into the VM.
There is no similar call for external plugins, but these you can see
in the files system yourself.

- Bert -

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida