[squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

Matthias Berth matthias.berth at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:21:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

thanks for the notes. I get the impression that having a small kernel
image with all methods licensed is a near term goal.

Craig>	We must make a release of Squeak that is composed entirely of
contributions made available by their copyright holders under license.

Now Pavels KernelImage has about 300 methods under squeakL left

pave1>	some time ago I tried to check all methods from my kernel.image
and only about 300 of them were under squeakL

So we'd have to rewrite these, making new implementations that are
licensed using the open Squeak license (is there a name for it, the
license that would take away the concerns of the external open source
advocates?).

Pavel says that could be done in a kind of clean room approach: one
person writes unit tests, another one implements according to the
tests, without looking at the original methods, of course.

pave1>	rewriting should look like this: someone will write a test case
that will describe what the method should exactly do	18:34:53
pave1>	and the other person that haven't seen the original
implementation will write it 	18:35:21
pave1>	again from the test case	18:35:36
pave1>	the second goal is that we will have lot of units tests of
kernel methods :-)

A start is made in RelicensingTests which has a few unit tests for the
Time class:

pave1>	btw. see RelicensingTests-pk.1.mcz on the SqueakSource
KernelImage repository	18:38:44
pave1>	http://www.squeaksource.com/KernelImage/RelicensingTests-pk.1.mcz

Am I understanding things right, upto now?

So my question is: how can I help with this? Ideally, I'd like to take
a bunch of tests from some list, and make them run. Or, even write
some new tests.

I think that something like this is a good task for volunteers: you
have a clear definition of what needs to be done (make that test
green), and you can devote small chunk of your time to help Squeak.

Cheers

Matthias