[squeak-dev] Renaming "Squeak"

Alan Lovejoy squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Wed Mar 5 01:26:29 UTC 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> "Squeak" is a name that's hard to take seriously, and I for one
> would be less inclined to advertise that any product I make is based
> on "Squeak". However, there's a large investment in the name - URLs,
> source code, public awareness,  etc.  The name is unlikely to change.

Squeak is not the most professional-sounding name that could have been
chosen.  One very important purpose of a name is marketing, and the
name "Squeak" doesn't do that very well in a few rather important
markets.  Of course, if you're marketing to children (and those who
educate them,) then Squeak is not at all a bad name.

But that's all water under the bridge at this point.  Changing the
name only, in the absence of any other substantive changes, would at
best be ignored as a shameless (and not well-motivated) marketing
ploy. At worst, it would be seen as an act of desperation.

Change Squeak so that it deserves a new name.  Then the new name will
be perceived as having been earned, and so will serve as an effective
marketing tool to advertise the new, improved "Open Source Smalltalk."