[squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Mar 5 08:46:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 03:18 +0200, Tansel wrote:
> I have a couple of ideas for Summer of code projects, I don't know how
> relevant they are but they are useful projects for people who are interested
> in rnning Squeak on small devices.
>
> One is porting Squeak natively to and/or making it work efficiently on
> Chumby.
>
> http://www.chumby.com
>
> Chumby is interesting in a way that it is very hackable both in hardware and
> software terms.

Very good. It would be wonderful to have a good support for the
most prominent arm cores. There are a lot of nice devices which
have an arm core. The openmoko phone (FIC 1973) [1] and the Nokia
N810 [2] are just two of them. And they all feature a touchscreen.
I'm not sure if the chumby is based on openembedded [3] but it looks
like. So chumby and openmoko are both based on openembedded.
There is also a openembedded support for maemo [4]  which tries
leverage the barrier to develop for it [5].

The native porting initiative could care about integrating to
build of squeak into openembedded. Tony Garnock-Jones has done
this [6] for the openmoko phone.
I don't know what interfaces exist in squeak to have access to
a touchscreen. A way to go could be to enable support for tslib
[7]

And, of course, I would like to have a calibration software for
my wiimote in squeak [8] :)

Norbert

[1] http://www.openmoko.com/ and http://www.openmoko.org
[2] http://www.nokia.co.uk/N810