[squeak-dev] Renaming "Squeak"

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 6 00:11:15 UTC 2008

David,

You nailed the underscore, though I can largely avoid that one; still,
it is IMHO at best unfortunate.  It also appears to be increasingly
elective given unicode support and

   http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Developer_FAQs

IMHO, we should find out how they did it, and emulate them.  I have
also thought about grabbing Croquet and just dumping the 3D features.
Perhaps that should be part of the 4.0 release plan?

The brace notation does not really bother me - I just don't like to see
it used :)   Humor aside, it is not a big deal to me, as I can (and do)
simply ignore it.  The underscore stings because I want to bring code to
Squeak.  The existing patch to allow $_ in all but the first slot in
selectors does most of what I need, but it seems an incompatibility that
should be fixed.

Another thing that really bothers me is the silent trucation of #next:.
 If

   'hello' readStream next:200.

does not signal an error, why does

   'hello' at:200

complain?  Of course, I'm not asking for bounds errors to be silent,
but I am lobbying for #next, #next:, etc. to grumble per VW and Dolphin
behavior.  FWIW, I have made a few tweaks to Nile along those lines.
What if truncation is appropriate?  #nextOrNil, #nextIfNone:,
#nextAvailable: can handle those situations, only with explicit
permission/instructions from the programmer.  I get a lot of data from
stream-like sources, and in many situations prefer to get my bad news
early, not after some goofy side effect causes a problem that
(hopefully) gets noticed before it causes harm.

Bill

===============================
"David Mitchell" <david.mitchell at ...>

Underscore for assignment!

Brace notation for dynamic arrays!

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida