[squeak-dev] Re: Renaming "Squeak"

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 6 00:47:47 UTC 2008

Bill Schwab wrote:
> You nailed the underscore, though I can largely avoid that one; still,
> it is IMHO at best unfortunate.  It also appears to be increasingly
> elective given unicode support and
>
>    http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Developer_FAQs
>
> IMHO, we should find out how they did it, and emulate them.

If by "how they did it" you mean how we got rid of the underscore then
the answer is: Just. Do. It. All the tools are out there, there is
FixUnderscores package by Bert which you can use to convert the entire
image, then all you need is to make the compiler treat the underscore as
an undefined character, and off you go. Simple.

> I have
> also thought about grabbing Croquet and just dumping the 3D features.

The Croquet release comes with a "Homebase.image" which is the base
image that Croquet was built upon. It's in the deployment directory for
people who would like to set up custom Croquet images that may include
more or less of the stuff in the release (the Qwaq product images are
derived from it, too). It is effectively 3.8 plus some Croquet specific
modifications.

Cheers,
   - Andreas