[squeak-dev] Re: Renaming "Squeak"

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Thu Mar 6 09:37:10 UTC 2008

Germán Arduino wrote:
> Squeak is a Smalltalk.....all of us understand the same by Smalltalk?

No, I don't think I do.

> Isn't a language......is a lot more..........and also has a language

Smalltalk is a language and should be (but isn't because of dialect
incompatibilities) a class library.  Everything else is not Smalltalk,
it is "the Smalltalk environment" which you are free to use or not to use.

Heck, not even the image is Smalltalk -- it's just an implementation detail.

I think this "I wanna change the world" attitude is what has kept
Smalltalk back in the last 10 years, compared to the more pragmatic view
of, say, the Python and Ruby communities.

Paolo