[squeak-dev] SoC idea: Squeak code on the Web

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:12:32 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 5:07:23 pm Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear Squeakers,
>
> I'd like to hear your opinion about proposed Google SoC project
> currently named as:
>
> 	Squeak code on the Web
> 	http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6032
>
> which goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written.
> Code should be accessible to search engines like Google Code Search and
> each package/class/method should have nice bookmarkable Url.
Janko,

Good idea! It can fix quite a few gaps in Squeak's browsers.

Free format string search is tedious in Squeak. Web-based search for strings
in code/doc would be faster.

If you are going to parse and index the source code, a wiki-style interface
would be a better option than a read-only browsing page. A wiki not only
makes submission of patches/corrections easy, but also keeps the discussion
thread along with the change.

BTW, most instance/class methods are small, so they can be included directly
while listing method names. Definitions are easier to understand if closely
related method sources appear in the same page.

Subbu