[squeak-dev] Re: Renaming "Squeak"

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 6 22:52:13 UTC 2008

Andreas,

Thanks for the info.  "Just do it" isn't quite realistic, as there are
some allies that I want to have along for the ride.  However, I am
considering some options that would center around grabbing an image,
turning the RB and various fixes loose on it, and producing what would
amount to a private fork, and use that until I need another fix.  It
might help to keep that original image, load updates (UI enhancements,
etc.) and new packages of interest into it, run fixes over them, and
file out and into the forked image.  However, I keep hoping for a better
way.

Does the Croquet home base image include the delay and semaphore fixes?

Bill

=================================

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at ...> andreas.raab at ...  wrote:

Bill Schwab wrote:
> You nailed the underscore, though I can largely avoid that one; still,
> it is IMHO at best unfortunate. It also appears to be increasingly
> elective given unicode support and
>
> http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Developer_FAQs
>
> IMHO, we should find out how they did it, and emulate them.

If by "how they did it" you mean how we got rid of the underscore then
the answer is: Just. Do. It. All the tools are out there, there is
FixUnderscores package by Bert which you can use to convert the entire
image, then all you need is to make the compiler treat the underscore as
an undefined character, and off you go. Simple.

> I have
> also thought about grabbing Croquet and just dumping the 3D features.

The Croquet release comes with a "Homebase.image" which is the base
image that Croquet was built upon. It's in the deployment directory for
people who would like to set up custom Croquet images that may include
more or less of the stuff in the release (the Qwaq product images are
derived from it, too). It is effectively 3.8 plus some Croquet specific
modifications.

Cheers,
- Andreas

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.