[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Mar 7 03:27:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 02:22:07 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> Andreas Raab ha scritto:
>> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> I bet one (1.-) CHF that GTK support will not be included in the next
>>> Squeak release, not counting 3.10, not talking about an optional
>>> package.
>>  Why does everyone seem so exclusively focused on doing something that
>> ends up "in the next Squeak release"? Is this a requirement for GSOC? I
>> certainly don't see the HydraTools ever getting into a Squeak release
>> but that doesn't make them any less useful for Squeak.
>
> As I said in my reply to Klaus, there's no need for the projects to be
> geared toward inclusion in the next Squeak release. It's just that I'd
> like for our students to be able to deliver something at the end of the
> Summer.

This *is* a good point and I would really like to be in favor of such
policy. But I cannot since reality dictates something else. Let me mention
the Delta Stream project as an example, its sheer complexity makes such an
enterprise look like it has several ends [pun not intended] but it is
nevertheless possible for a summer coder to make a significant
contribution to DS without also making DS usable for the masses on the
next day, no?

Same goes for Cedrick's project suggestion, please don't expect that he
will create *the* AI by that; all he wants is a port to Squeak Seaside for
multi users (thereby enabling any form of persistency that users can
afford BTW), instead of the current plain Java desktop. Thousands of other
people will be able to do the "remainder" with Cedrick's base work,
perhaps in the next SoC? This kind of policy *must* be possible, unless we
want only gray-bearded experts to apply to autumn-of-life-long-coding
projects.

Think small, keep it open (= always unfinshed *and* always [re-]usable, as
in Smalltalk) and do great things?

/Klaus