[squeak-dev] Re: Complex isNumber

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed Mar 12 20:08:17 UTC 2008

stephane ducasse a écrit :
> Nicolas
> I always thought that the complex class was plain bad. Can I infer from
> your email
> that I was wrong and that it is worth keeping it?
>
> Stef

There are a few complaints on mantis.
It is incomplete (no sqrt, conjuguated, etc...).
And some cosmetic requests (I'd like Complex to be renamed ComplexNumber
and isComplex isComplexNumber).

But overall, it was usable for me after a few extensions i put on
SqueakSource Math-Complex-Extensions.

Implementation choice to keep (1+0i) a Complex rather than
auto-converting to a Number is not light but it enables programmer to
select where and when to use Complex extensions.

I think the reason to remove it is that it is not used at all.
Complex implementation is cool with this respect, because there are no
overriden methods.

We should make it an optional package on Squeak source/Squeak map, not
all users need Complex numbers after all.

Nicolas