[squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Mar 14 00:48:29 UTC 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Squeakers,
>
> I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping Squeak
> community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.
>
> Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience building
> up
> and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some
> experience
> how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations (SEO).

While SEO experience is an important skill for website management, I
think you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against
Seaside to be a serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO
tasks, and the Squeak website itself could certainly be improved in
that way, I fear that your solutions will inherently involve your
favorite hammer rather than working within Seaside (aka "what we
have") the ways it provides.

> That experience can help to improve a bit otherwise already very rich
> Squeak website. Other possibility for improvement is to upgrade
> technology behind website and here I can again contribute with
> Aida/Scribo CMS, which is a base for Aida's website and is currently
> in
> intense development, just adding blog support. That way a Squeak
> website
> will also be a show point of most advanced technology Squeakers have.
> Which is good in my opinion for Squeak and Smalltalk promotion in
> general.

Aida/Scribe CMS is the "most advanced technology Squeakers have"?
While it's probably quite good, I think you're revealing your self-
interest.

I don't want to debate which framework or approach to web development
is better (and neither do you, apparently, having made your choice and
vocalizing it constantly), but Squeak does have a CMS and it seems to
serve us as a community well enough to keep improving it. Seaside also
provides us with some very innovative approaches to web applications
development that it alone is good PR for the community.

> To conclude, I can contribute with maintaining content on one side but
> also to upgrade the website technology to Aida/Scribo CMS, so that a
> website will be modern, with fresh and relevant content and with all
> things such site needs to have those days.

I spend a lot of time with non-Smalltalkers who do web development,
and myself am currently working on web applications in a non-Smalltalk
(yet palatable) environment, so my bias is towards the perspective of
outsiders who are looking for open accessible information and
exposition of the Squeak community and its artifacts. I would offer my
candidacy as an alternative to your proposed deal in which you link
your volunteerism to lead with an "upgrade" of the site to the
application framework you author and self-promote.

I think the main "upgrade" we do need is for the Squeak Swiki, which
is many years old and doesn't help us with SEO at all, as I have
repeatedly found out while trying to google some solution for new
Squeakers. Aida could possibly help with that, but so could many other
choices. In any case, the answer is more about content and making
Squeak and Squeak information findable than any technology.

--
http://BrianTRice.com