[squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Mar 14 01:20:39 UTC 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:48:29PM -0700, Brian T. Rice wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Squeakers,
>>>
>>> I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping
>>> Squeak
>>> community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.
>>>
>>> Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience
>>> building up
>>> and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some
>>> experience
>>> how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations
>>> (SEO).
>>
>> While SEO experience is an important skill for website management,
>> I think
>> you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against Seaside
>> to be a
>> serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO tasks, and
>> the Squeak
>> website itself could certainly be improved in that way, I fear that
>> your
>> solutions will inherently involve your favorite hammer rather than
>> working
>> within Seaside (aka "what we have") the ways it provides.
>
> For what it's worth, practically none of the Squeak website uses
> Seaside:
>
> - squeak.org uses Smallwiki, which has it's own web engine.

Not Smallwiki2/Pier? Huh, that's what I thought was there.

> - swiki uses swiki, which uses PWS
> - lists.squeakfoundation.org uses Mailman, a python tool
> - bugs.squeak.org uses Mantis, a php tool
> - map.squeak.org uses HttpView2
> - people.squeakfoundation.org uses some php tool
> - source.squeakfoundation.org uses SqueakSource, which uses
>  seaside.
>
> So, Seaside can't really be said to be "what we have"

Yeah, I'm aware of these, but it's helpful to see them presented as
such a group. Well then, maybe Aida is a step forward if Janko (or his
Aida users) can deliver and maintain what he seems to intend. But any
upgrades should start with the Swiki since it has a large amount of
content and isn't an externally-maintained piece of software (it's
effectively abandonware). I certainly won't say that I like or prefer
that these are all in various technologies, some grottier than others,
but information visibility should be the lead goal.

I *would* like SqueakSource to be MUCH more friendly to external
linking (some would say RESTful; I just want it SEO-friendly) but we'd
need to wrangle some effort in that direction (no one in charge of SqS
claims to have the time to do it yet).

In any case, we're talking about a pretty large effort for a community
of mostly part-time people.

--
http://BrianTRice.com