[squeak-dev] Re: I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Mar 14 13:08:39 UTC 2008

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
>> stagnation and movement i choose movement.
>
> I would recommend spending two minutes to think about how to roll out
> such a change and how to roll back if (god forbid) the job turns out too
> big, the tool not suited, or the volunteer in question getting run over
> by a bus. Only headless chickens move merely for the sake of movement ;-)

Yes, that's a right question to ask: what are guaranties for long-term
commitment and quality of proposed solution. And how open is that
solution so that in any unfortunate case the community is not stuck.

1. Aida is not one-man-band anymore, it has now quite vibrant community
of contributors and especially users developing and running their own
sites [1, 2]. This is a guarantee that there are more than one who is
knowledgeable in Aida and already in Scribo. And many of them are
preparing to help in WebTeam, so community won't stuck.

2. I'm earning all my money on Aida and Scribo based solutions for 12
years now (Scribo 5 years). This will continue for many years more, so
here is a guarantee of my commitment to that technology.

3. Scribo is actually 5 years old commercial document and business
process management technology (BiArt), a core of which is now
open-sourced and will be released under the name Scribo. All existing
BiArt systems are already migrating on top of Scribo, which is a
guarantee that Scribo will live also out of pure business interest.

4.Scribo content is file based, with XML metadata about all content
attributes. Therefore is completely independent of technology above and
this design decision was made intentionally in BiArt, besides
independence of content also to enable a long term archiving of content
(20 years or more). Content is stored in formats which are
archive-friendly and just FYI, BiArt systems are used as legally valid
archive systems. Here the long term guaranty for the content.

5. I'm hosting near 40 websites on Aida/Web on a collocated server, most
of them are hosted BiArts for my customers, with a 99.99% uptime [3].
Here a guarantee that I'm taking web business seriously and know, how to
monitor and run things continuously, without disruption.

I hope that this answers to most of doubts about the proposal.

Janko

[1] http://www.aidaweb.si/community.html
[2] http://www.aidaweb.si/success-stories.html
[3] http://www.aidaweb.si/admin.html?view=serverStatistics