Why skepticism (was Re: [squeak-dev] Demo of squeak.org on Aida/Scribo ready)

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Mar 17 02:35:37 UTC 2008

On Mar 16, 2008, at 7:19 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Brian Rice wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 16, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>>
>>> Demo is actually pretty complete, what is still missing is a dynamic
>>> tree  menu on the left (currently is static) and some other minor
>>> things. In any case with this demo I convinced even myself that
>>> moving
>>> Squeak website is definitively possible and it will open further
>>> improvements on content, spreading authoring to more people, adding
>>> more dynamic content, etc etc.
>>>
>>> I hope that you are now a bit more convinced that two days ago...:)
>>
>> Well, right now we have to take your word for it about your demo's
>> *behavior* since we can only see the content for now, not log in to
>> change it.
>
> True, but why the antagonism? Why not take him at his word? Has he
> violated your trust?

Abstract answer:
Because it's his responsibility to justify the value of the ideas he
proposes to us as a community, not ours to accept his praise for his
own framework at face value. This is just as it is with any
responsible community situation.

Concrete answer:
Because our (the Squeak community's) actual core problem relates to
the gathering, updating, and maintaining of content, news, and
explanations for the website. He has enthusiasm for his own technical
effort to make future effort easier (which is fine), but we're losing
sight of what could be done *now*, without technological improvements.

In short, I wonder who could or will authorize me or someone similar
or small group of people to take care of the immediate content
problems while Janko works on something that will enable an easier
effort for that in the future? We seem eager to enthuse about
technical efforts and lazy to progress on social decisions.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com