[squeak-dev] Re: Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:12:06 UTC 2008

On 19/03/2008, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>  > I suppose Janko collected agreement to change the license from the major
>  > contributors to Swazoo.

> No I didn't, but I also don't remember that we seriously set up a
>  license for Swazoo. Those chooses were more chooses by license
>  popularity than anything else. As it was (and still mostly is) in
>  Smalltalk world.

As Paolo suggests, licensing isn't something can be changed without
the OK from all contributors.  All the discussions on cls are clear
that Swazoo is under the LGPL.  Have a look for yourself.  Use Google
to search for "Swazoo license" in the comp.lang.smalltalk group. I
recall the issue ever coming up on the Swazoo mailing list.

We just need to change the entries that appear in the Squeak
repositories so that the actual license is clear to any potential
users of Swazoo.

I guess apologies may be due to people who have adopted Swazoo under
the mistaken impression that it is licensed under MIT :-/

http://www.openskills.org/